Feel like you’re a prisoner to an overpriced auto insurance policy? Believe me, you’re not alone.
Because there are so many auto insurance companies to choose from, it can be impossible to choose the cheapest provider.
Finding Auto Insurance in Jackson
To find the best auto insurance prices, there are several ways to compare quotes from auto insurance companies in your area. The simplest method to find the cheapest insurance rates is to use the internet to compare rates. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- One of the best ways to compare a lot of rates at once is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do a different quote for each company you want a rate for. Just one form will return quotes instantly.
- A more time consuming way to compare rate quotes requires visiting the website for every company you want to comare to request a price quote. For examples sake, let’s say you want to compare rates from Liberty Mutual, Progressive and Travelers. To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site and enter your policy data, which is why most consumers use the first method. To view a list of companies in Jackson, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just compare apples-to-apples coverage limits on every quote. If the quotes have mixed coverages it will be next to impossible to make a fair comparison in Jackson. Just a small difference in coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when comparing auto insurance rates, know that getting more free quotes will enable you to find the best rates.
Do you qualify for a discount?
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but you can get discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit.
- Save with a New Car – Buying coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Drive Less and Save – Keeping the miles down can qualify you for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
What determines how much you pay?
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to big savings.
- Too many auto insurance claims drive up costs – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance companies in Mississippi award cheaper rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Car insurance is intended for the large, substantial claims.
- Older drivers save more – Teen drivers in Mississippi are known to be careless and easily distracted in a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher. Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- What are your deductibles? – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered are a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, and burglary. Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are willing to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Your spouse saves you money – Getting married can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. It usually means you are more responsible it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Jobs such as lawyers, business owners and dentists tend to have the highest average rates attributed to stressful work requirements and long work hours. Other occupations such as farmers, historians and the unemployed receive lower rates.
- More people means more accidents – Choosing to live in less populated areas can save you money when buying auto insurance. Fewer people means a lower chance of having an accident as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers in populated Mississippi areas tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Longer commute distances means higher likelihood of an accident.
What coverages do I need?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions might help in determining whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Much more information about auto insurance in Mississippi is available on the website for the Mississippi Insurance Department located here. Visitors are able to discover disciplinary actions, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, read industry bulletins, and report car insurance fraud.
The following articles may also be useful.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Lower-priced auto insurance is attainable online in addition to many Jackson insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies do not provide online quoting and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest premiums are with some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.