I can’t think of anyone who likes having to buy auto insurance, especially knowing they are paying too much. Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate increase brand awareness with ads and it is difficult to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and find the best price available.
It’s a good habit to take a look at other company’s rates periodically since insurance rates change regularly. Even if you think you had the best rates last year other companies may now be cheaper. Starting now, block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn the things you must know in order to find lower rates on auto insurance.
Free Holladay Auto Insurance Quotes
Getting a lower price on insurance is a fairly straight forward process. Drivers just need to spend a little time getting comparison quotes online with multiple companies. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- Probably the best way to get the best comparison quotes is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do boring form submissions for every auto insurance company. One quote request gets you coverage quotes from all major companies.
- Another way to get quotes online requires a trip to each company website and request a quote. For examples sake, we’ll pretend you want comparison quotes from Nationwide, Farmers and Liberty Mutual. To find out each rate you need to go to every website and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Holladay, click here.
- The least recommended way of comparing rate quotes is to spend your day driving to and from local Holladay insurance agencies. Shopping for auto insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you have a need for the professional guidance of a licensed agent. You can, however, price shop your coverage online but still have the advice of a local agent and we’ll cover that in a bit.
It’s up to you which method you use, but be sure to compare exactly the same coverage limits and deductibles for each comparison quote. If the quotes have different values for each quote it will be next to impossible to determine the lowest rate in Holladay.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list every discount very well, so we researched some of the best known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Employee of Federal Government – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Sign Online – A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
- Bundle and Save – If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you could get a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Good Student – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers pay much less when compared with bad drivers.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in Holladay may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
For a list of insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Holladay, click here.
Tips to Get Lower Holladay Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that help determine your auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
The following are some of the items companies use to determine prices.
- Special features that cut premiums – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart auto theft.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability insurance is the coverage that protects you if you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates – Occupations like real estate brokers, business owners and dentists have the highest average rates in part from high stress and long work days. Other occupations like farmers, historians and the unemployed get better rates.
- Too many auto insurance claims drive up costs – Companies in Utah generally give cheaper rates to insureds who do not file claims often. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than bad drivers. Just one citation can bump up the cost by twenty percent. If you have serious violations such as DUI or reckless driving may find they need to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Some consumers would rather sit down with an agent and that is OK! Good agents can help determine the best coverages and give you peace of mind. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find better rates and still choose a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Holladay who will return price quotes for your business. You never need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. How’s that for easy!
Selecting an insurer shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- How are they compensated?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Utah?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
If you want to view licensed agents in Holladay, go to this page.
Once you have positive responses to these questions and a good coverage price, chances are good that you have found a company that will insure your vehicles.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When buying coverage for your vehicles, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions may help you determine if your situation might need professional guidance.
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Utah?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- What are the best liability limits?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
More detailed Utah auto insurance information is located at the Utah Insurance Department website. Visitors are able to find disaster information, read industry bulletins, download brochures, and report car insurance fraud.
Also read more on BankRate.com’s Car Insurance: When not to Skimp and this list of insurance agents in Holladay.
Smart consumers save more
We just showed you a lot of information how to compare auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest premiums are with the smaller companies. Some small companies often have lower prices on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Affordable auto insurance is possible online and with local Holladay insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies do not offer online quoting and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford.