No one likes having to buy car insurance, especially when the cost is too high.
Online insurance companies like GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm all claim big savings, bombarding you with TV and radio ads and it is difficult to ignore the propoganda and find the best price available.
How your Williston rates are determined
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? – There are quite a few add-on coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Coverages for roadside assistance, towing coverage and membership fees are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but your needs may have changed so eliminate them to save money.
- Mature drivers pay less – More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers. Young drivers have a tendency to be less responsible when driving therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Liability insurance is the protection if you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in North Dakota give discounts to drivers who do not file claims often. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Being married is a good thing – Being married actually saves money when buying car insurance. Having a significant other means you’re more responsible and statistics show drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Your location is important – Residing in less populated areas can be a good thing when buying car insurance. Urban drivers tend to have much more traffic and longer commute times. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident.
- Sex matters – The statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. Both sexes are in accidents in similar percentages, but the men cause more damage. Men also statistically receive more costly citations such as reckless driving. Youthful male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize all available discounts very clearly, so we researched some of the more common as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Driver Safety – Completing a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- E-sign – A few companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy on their website.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can help you save on car insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Williston, follow this link.
When might I need an agent?
When it comes to choosing coverage, there is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in North Dakota?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
If you can’t answer these questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
To learn even more about car insurance
Even more information can be read at the North Dakota Insurance Department website. North Dakota consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find out industry alerts, view a list of available companies, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
You just read many ideas to lower your car insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Cost effective car insurance is possible from both online companies in addition to many Williston insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not provide online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.