If you’re new to shopping for car insurance online, you may be confused by the sheer number of companies offering insurance in Brookings.
It’s a good habit to take a look at other company’s rates every six months since insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the best rates on your last policy a different company probably has better rates today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the quickest way to get good coverage at a lower rate.
More discounts equal less premium
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there are discounts available to reduce the price significantly. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Military Rewards – Having a deployed family member can result in better rates.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Paperless Signup – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy digitally online.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a home in Brookings can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Accident Free – Good drivers with no accidents can save substantially as compared to bad drivers.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. But all discounts will reduce your premiums.
For a list of providers who offer car insurance discounts in Brookings, click this link.
Save Money with These Tips
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
Listed below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine prices.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Jobs such as lawyers, social workers and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates due to job stress and lots of time spent at work. Other jobs such as pilots, historians and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Just one citation can increase rates forty percent or more. Good drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have flagrant citations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may need to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- No coverage gaps is important – Allowing your coverage to lapse will be a fast way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a license revocation or jail time.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – Auto insurance companies in South Dakota provide lower rates to people who do not file claims often. If you file claims often, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Car insurance is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims could be running into the backend of another car, vandalism, or theft. Your deductibles are how much you are required to spend in the event of a claim. The more money you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
It’s not one size fits all
When buying the best car insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my vehicle?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do no-fault laws apply in South Dakota?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- How much liability coverage do I need in South Dakota?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form.
For more information
Additional information can be found on the South Dakota Division of Insurance website through this link. Consumers can get help finding coverage, read state legal mandates and laws, and view a list of available companies.
Smart shoppers get results
People leave their current company for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, questionable increases in premium, policy non-renewal or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies can be less work than you think.
We covered some good ideas how to compare car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small local company.
Cheap car insurance is available both online as well as from independent agents in Brookings, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some companies don’t offer online price quotes and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.