Are you sick and tired of not being able to afford each month for car insurance? You’re in the same situation as millions of other consumers.
Since consumers have many options when it comes to car insurance, it is very difficult to choose the right insurer.
The purpose of this article is to tell you the most effective way to quote insurance. If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to cut costs considerably using these techniques. Although Nebraska car owners do need to understand how the larger insurance companies compete online and apply this information to your search.
Tips to Get Lower Norfolk Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate rates.
- Marriage brings a discount – Being married actually saves money on your car insurance policy. Marriage translates into being more mature than a single person it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Liability coverage is cheap – The liability section of your policy will protect you if ever you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Your job and insurance rates – Occupations like lawyers, social workers and stock brokers have the highest rates in part from job stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations such as pilots, students and retirees get better rates.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Both sexes have accidents at a similar rate, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI.
- The more you drive the more you pay – The more you drive in a year’s time the more you will pay for car insurance. Most insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars not used for work or commuting receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy is rated on the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are a ton of add-on coverages you can purchase on your car insurance policy. Things like personal injury protection, better glass coverage and membership fees may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good initially, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
- Special features that cut premiums – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder auto theft.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but some must be manually applied before you will receive the discount.
- Student in College – Kids in college living away from home attending college and don’t have a car can receive lower rates.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- Clubs and Organizations – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But any discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
How can Progressive, Allstate and GEICO save drivers who switch?
Car insurance providers like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO regularly use ads in print and on television. They all make the same claim that you’ll save big if you move to them. But how can every company say the same thing?
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver they prefer to insure. For example, a preferred risk could possibly be over the age of 40, has no driving citations, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. Any new insured who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who fall outside the “perfect” profile will have to pay a more expensive rate which usually ends up with business not being written. The ad wording is “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much money. This is how insurance companies can state the savings.
Because of the profiling, you absolutely need to quote coverage with many companies. It’s just too difficult to predict which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
More information about car insurance
Much more information about car insurance in Nebraska can be found on the website for the Nebraska Department of Insurance found here. Consumers can view agent and company licensing information, read state legal mandates and laws, and get help finding coverage.
One last thing about your coverage
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, someone dropped full coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
We just presented a lot of information how to compare car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even find the lowest premiums are with a small mutual company. Some small companies often have lower prices on specific markets compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.