Buying the cheapest San Jose car insurance on the internet is intimidating for consumers new to shopping for insurance online. With such a large number of online companies, how can anyone even start to compare every company to locate the best price?
It’s important to compare prices occasionally since rates change quite often. Even if you got the lowest price a year ago you will most likely find a better rate today. Starting now, forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to learn the right way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Save big with these discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but some must be asked about before you get the savings.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- College Student – Children who are attending college without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Student Driver Training – Require your teen driver to enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in San Jose may earn you a small savings because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some companies give better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance coverage on a new car is cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Bundle and Save – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will help reduce your premiums.
For a list of insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in California, follow this link.
Compare San Jose Car Insurance Costs
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways to compare quotes from different in San Jose, Californiainsurance companies. By far the easiest way to find the lowest rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The recommended way consumers can make multiple comparisons is a comparison rater form click here to open form in new window. This method eliminates the need for separate forms for each company. Taking the time to complete one form gets you coverage quotes from car insurance companies with the best prices. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- Another way to find lower rates is going to the website of each company to request a price quote. For example, let’s say you want to compare Allstate, Progressive and GMAC. To get rate quotes you would need to go to every website and enter your information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a handy list of car insurance company links in San Jose, click here.
However you get your quotes, compare identical information for every quote you compare. If you compare higher or lower deductibles it’s not possible to find the best deal in San Jose. Quoting even small variations in limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. Keep in mind that comparing a large number of companies will increase your chances of finding the best price.
Smart Buyers can Save Money
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Knowing what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in big savings.
The list below includes some of the items companies use to determine premiums.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Safer cars get lower rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – Companies in California provide better rates to policyholders who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California department of motor vehicles.
But I don’t know anything about car insurance
When buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my vehicle?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in California?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
One last thing
Insureds who switch companies do it for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, not issuing a premium refund, high prices and even being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company can be pretty painless.
Discount car insurance is definitely available on the web as well as from independent agents in San Jose, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some car insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
You just learned some good ideas how to compare car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Learn more about California car insurance
Much more information about car insurance in California can be found on the California Department of Insurance website through this link. Consumers can file complaints about a company, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and download brochures.