Finding the best price on Scarborough auto insurance may seem to be difficult if you’ve never compared online price comparisons. But don’t be discouraged because online price shopping is actually quite simple.
It’s a good idea to take a look at other company’s rates at least once a year since rates are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you got the best price last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Starting right now, block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you the best way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to find better prices and possibly find even better coverage. Buying affordable coverage in Scarborough can be fairly easy. Maine drivers just need to learn the proper methods to compare company rates over the internet.
Smart Consumers Save More
It’s important that you understand the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that could result in lower auto insurance prices.
- Clean credit earns discounts – Having a bad credit history is a important factor in determining your rates. If your credit is not that good, you could save money insuring your by improving your rating. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
- Performance influences rates – The performance of the car you drive makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. Small economy passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Equipment add-ons that lower auto insurance rates – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- No coverage gaps is important – Driving without insurance is against the law and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine.You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Maine DMV.
- Extra add-on coverages are wasting money – There are many additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren’t careful. Insurance for personal injury protection, accidental death and term life insurance may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good at first, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and rolling your vehicle. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend if you file a covered claim. The more you have to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
Auto insurance companies do not list every discount very clearly, so we researched some of the more common as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To choose providers offering auto insurance discounts in Scarborough, follow this link.
Your coverage should be tailored to you
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you will benefit from professional help.
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
More detailed Maine auto insurance information is located at the Maine Bureau of Insurance website. Consumers can file complaints about a company, read consumer alerts, and discover disciplinary actions.
Also read more on this Car Insurance FAQ and this page where you can research Scarborough insurance agents.
A tidy conclusion
As you restructure your insurance plan, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price.
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, high prices, high rates after DUI convictions and being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, finding a great new company is easier than you think.
Low-cost auto insurance can be found on the web as well as from independent agents in Scarborough, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.