Purchasing the cheapest Plano car insurance on the web can be difficult for beginners to buying insurance on the web. With dozens of choices, how can consumers even start to compare every company to locate the best available price?
Informed Drivers can Cut Their Rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability coverage is the protection if a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Performance influences rates – The type of vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. The lowest rates tend to be for economy passenger vehicles, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Older drivers save more – More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations. Teenage drivers are statistically proven to be more careless when driving therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Residing in a small town has it’s advantages when insuring your vehicles. Drivers in populated areas have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Less people living in that area means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are many add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying when buying car insurance. Coverages like personal injury protection, accidental death and membership fees may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment at first, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
More discounts equal less premium
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched both well-publicized and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner can save you money because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who are attending college without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Auto/Life Discount – Some companies give a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Memberships – Belonging to certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break when shopping for car insurance.
- Accident Waiver – A few companies permit an accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Good Student – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given the the whole policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way.
For a list of providers with the best car insurance discounts in Plano, click this link.
It’s not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions might help in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Some additional reading
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the Texas Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to discover disciplinary actions, learn about insurance regulations, find a variety of consumer forms, and read industry bulletins.
The following articles may also be useful.
Affordable insurance is out there
Drivers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including questionable increases in premium, policy non-renewal, lack of trust in their agent or policy cancellation. Whatever your reason, switching car insurance companies can be easier than you think.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
We just presented some good ideas how to compare car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.