I can’t think of a single person who cherishes buying car insurance, in particular when the cost is too high. Because there are so many choices of insurance companies, it’s nearly impossible to pick the best company.
It’s a great practice to take a look at other company’s rates occasionally because insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you had the best price a few years ago you will most likely find a better rate today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re about to learn the right way to get good coverage at a lower rate.
How to Lower your Car Insurance Rates
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get big savings.
Shown below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Mature drivers pay less – Teenage drivers in Michigan are known to be careless and easily distracted when driving so car insurance rates are higher. Adding a youthful driver to your car insurance policy can break the bank. More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- Please use or commuting – Driving more miles every year the more you will pay for car insurance. Almost all companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your car insurance coverage shows the proper vehicle usage.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – Car insurance companies in Michigan provide cheaper rates to policyholders who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – Careful drivers get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Only having one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. If you have dangerous violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – The liability section of your policy provides coverage if you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides legal defense starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for car insurance? Occupations such as real estate brokers, executives and accountants are shown to have higher rates than average due to stressful work requirements and long work hours. On the flip side, professions such as actors, athletes and performers pay the least.
Compare the Market for Car Insurance in Lansing, Michigan
Getting better car insurance pricing is surprisingly easy. The only thing you need to do is take a couple of minutes comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The best way to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form (click to open form in new window). This form saves time by eliminating separate forms to each individual car insurance company. Completing one form compares rates from all major companies.
- A harder way to compare rate quotes is to manually visit the website for every company you want to comare and fill out their own quote form. For example, we’ll pretend you want rates from Auto-Owners, GEICO and American Family. You would have to take the time to go to each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a list of links to insurance companies in Lansing, click here.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but make absolute certain that you use exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits with each company. If you have mixed coverages then you won’t be able to decipher which rate is best in Lansing.
Take discounts and save
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you can get discounts to cut the cost considerably. Most are applied when you complete an application, but a few must be asked for prior to receiving the credit. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in Lansing can save you money because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Club Memberships – Participating in a civic or occupational organization may earn a discount on car insurance.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Sign Early and Save – Some insurance companies reward drivers for signing up before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Save over 55 – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive reduced rates.
- Resident Student – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
To choose companies with the best car insurance discounts in Michigan, click here to view.
Additional car insurance information can be read on the website for the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation through this link. Michigan consumers can view a list of available companies, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and learn about specific coverages.
One last thing about your coverage
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced collision coverage only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
You just read many tips how you can compare car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may discover the biggest savings come from the least-expected company. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.