Sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than most other car owners in Alabama. Online insurance companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO constantly blast consumers with ads and it can be hard to see past the geckos and flying pigs and take the time to shop coverage around.
If you have a current car insurance policy or need new coverage, you can follow these tips to get lower rates and still get good coverage. Finding affordable coverage in Decatur is quite easy. Alabama drivers only need to know the best way to get comparison rates online.
Where Can I Get Cheap Decatur Car Insurance?
Finding cheaper car insurance prices isn’t really that difficult. Consumers just need to take a few minutes comparing rates from different insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but be sure to compare apples-to-apples coverage limits for every company. If the quotes have different liability limits it’s impossible to determine the best price in Decatur.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize all their discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of some of the more common and also the lesser-known car insurance savings. If you’re not getting every credit available, you are throwing money away.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Accident Forgiveness – A few companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums as long as you don’t have any claims for a certain period of time.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Some companies give lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Organization Discounts – Affiliation with a qualifying organization may earn a discount when buying car insurance.
A little note about advertised discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky.
Decatur Rates are Influenced by These Factors
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that go into determining your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that could result in better car insurance rates.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations like doctors, business owners and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates attributed to stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations such as scientists, students and performers receive lower rates.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. Safer cars reduce injuries and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts and thus lower rates.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more miles you rack up on your car each year the higher your rate. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy shows how each vehicle is driven.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Not having insurance is against the law and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will your rates increase, but not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Alabama motor vehicle department.
- Liability coverage protects you – Liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
- A clean driving record saves money – A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Good drivers have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Just one speeding ticket can increase rates forty percent or more. If you have dangerous violations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Extra coverages can waste money – There are many extra bells and whistles that you can buy when buying car insurance. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and term life insurance may be costing you every month. They may seem like a good idea initially, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping auto theft.
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at the Alabama Department of Insurance website. Alabama drivers can find disaster information, find out industry alerts, and discover disciplinary actions.
Do drivers who switch really save?
Alabama consumers can’t ignore all the ads for the lowest price auto insurance by Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the ads make the same claim that you can save if you move to their company.
How does each company make almost identical claims?
All companies have a certain “appetite” for the driver that makes them money. An example of a desirable insured might be profiled as a mature driver, a clean driving record, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any new insured who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and therefore will save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who do not match the requirements must pay higher rates which usually ends up with business going elsewhere. The ads say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. This is how companies can make the claims of big savings. This illustrates why drivers must get quotes from several different companies. Because you never know which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
More effort can pay off
Lower-priced car insurance can be bought from both online companies in addition to many Decatur insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get a quote online and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
We just covered many ideas to reduce car insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Some small companies often have lower prices on specific markets compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.