Having to pay for overpriced car insurance can empty your checking account and put a big crunch on your finances. Shopping your coverage around is a great way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket.
Numerous insurance companies battle to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates and get the definite best rates possible.
You should make it a habit to price shop coverage on a regular basis due to the fact that insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. Despite the fact that you may have had the best deal six months ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So just forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re going to learn one of the quickest ways to lower your annual insurance bill.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using these techniques. Buying car insurance in Frederick is quite easy. But Maryland consumers benefit from understanding the way companies market insurance on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise every discount very clearly, so we break down some of the more common and the harder-to-find car insurance savings.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some companies give discounts for switching to them before your current policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Defensive Driver – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- College Student – Children living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could get a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free car insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
For a list of companies offering car insurance discounts in Frederick, click this link.
What impacts Frederick insurance rates?
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
The following are some of the items used by your company to calculate rates.
- Where you reside plays a part – Being located in a rural area can save you money when it comes to car insurance. Drivers who live in large cities regularly have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Lower population means reduced accidents.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a fast way to pay more for car insurance. Not only will you pay more, but not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Maryland motor vehicle department.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Occupations like lawyers, executives and financial analysts tend to have higher average rates due to stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. Conversely, professions such as actors, engineers and retirees receive lower rates.
- Extra coverages can waste money – There are a ton of additional coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so get rid of them and save.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Your driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Even a single ticket can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who get dangerous violations such as DUI or reckless driving may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – Most car insurance companies will give a discount to customers who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you still need to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find a better deal by buying car insurance from a different company.
For more Maryland car insurance information
Additional detailed information is available at the Maryland Insurance Administration website. Visitors are able to read state legal mandates and laws, find out which companies have the most complaints, and view agent and company licensing information.
Other informative sites include this link for Maryland car insurance quotes and this resource to find Frederick, MD insurance agents.
One last thing about your coverage
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we presented a lot of ways to reduce car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.