Searching for the cheapest Alexandria car insurance on the web can seem to be intimidating for beginners to price shopping online. With such a large number of choices, how can you possibly compare every one to find the best available price?
Discounts can save BIG
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down both the well known as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are throwing money away.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
- Distant Student – Children who are attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Good Student – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Alexandria may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts when compared with frequent claim filers.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
You have some control over your rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Understanding what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
The list below includes some of the factors used by your company to calculate rates.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Jobs such as real estate brokers, business owners and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates due to high stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations like scientists, students and the unemployed receive lower rates.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Your policy’s liability coverage is the protection if ever a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Increase deductibles and save – Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. The more money you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – Many insurance companies provide better rates to customers who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be 10 percent or more. Even though this discount sounds good, you may still want to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
Will just any policy work for me?
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine if you may require specific advice.
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Louisiana?
- Is Louisiana a no-fault state?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
For more Louisiana car insurance information
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at the Louisiana Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to read industry bulletins, find out industry alerts, and learn about specific coverages.
Affordable insurance is out there
People leave their current company for a number of reasons such as not issuing a premium refund, extreme rates for teen drivers, lack of trust in their agent or even policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is easier than you think.
You just read some good ideas how you can compare car insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies.
Budget-conscious car insurance is attainable online and also from your neighborhood Alexandria agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.