Finding the lowest price for Hattiesburg car insurance can seem like an uphill battle if you’ve never compared quoting online. But don’t be discouraged because finding affordable coverage online is easier than you think.
It is always a good idea to check car insurance prices occasionally due to the fact that insurance rates tend to go up over time. If you had the best price last year a different company probably has better rates today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the quickest way to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
Understand what determines the rate you pay
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – The liability section of your policy provides coverage if ever you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.
- More miles equals more premium – Driving more miles every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most insurance companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your car insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage.
- Small claims can cost you – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance companies in Mississippi give lower rates to people who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is intended for larger claims.
- Are you male or female? – Statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both are in accidents at a similar rate, but men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving.
- Performance makes a difference – The performance of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in determining your rates. Economy passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Auto insurance companies don’t always list every discount very clearly, so here is a list both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- College Student – Youth drivers who attend school more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Bundle and Save – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Memberships – Belonging to a professional or civic organization could trigger savings when buying car insurance.
- Auto/Life Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for signing up before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than less cautious drivers.
It’s important to note that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck.
To choose providers offering car insurance discounts in Mississippi, click this link.
Additional detailed information is available at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Mississippi drivers can learn about specific coverages, find out industry alerts, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and discover disciplinary actions.
Shop smart and save
Insureds switch companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund or even poor customer service. Regardless of your reason, finding a great new company is easier than you think.
Cheaper car insurance can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many Hattiesburg insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price.