Comparison shopping for Cleveland auto insurance is always a challenge for beginners to shopping for insurance online. Consumers have so many options available that it can turn into a real hassle to find lower rates in Cleveland.
It’s a good idea to compare prices every six months because rates trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the best price a year ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re about to find out one of the best ways to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
This information will introduce you to how to effectively get price quotes and some tricks to saving. If you have car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to save some money using these techniques. Ohio consumers only need an understanding of the tricks to shop their coverage around online.
Take discounts and save
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts to help offset the cost. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied prior to getting the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies will forgive one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a defensive driving course could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Life Insurance – Larger companies have better rates if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class in high school.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Costs in Cleveland, Ohio
Getting a lower price on insurance can be quick and easy. All you need to do is take the time comparing price quotes online with multiple companies. This can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- One of the best ways to find low rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This method eliminates the need for separate forms for every auto insurance company. One form gets you price quotes from auto insurance companies with the best prices.It’s the quickest way to get rates.
- A harder way to get quotes online requires a trip to the website of each company and complete a new quote form. For example, let’s assume you want to compare rates from Nationwide, Progressive and State Farm. To get each rate you have to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Cleveland, click here.
Whichever way you use, compare apples-to-apples quote information for each price quote. If you use unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s impossible to determine which rate is truly the best in Cleveland.
Why you might pay higher rates in Cleveland
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces that factor into your rates.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Youthful drivers in Ohio are statistically proven to be less responsible when driving so auto insurance rates are higher. Parents adding a teenage driver to your policy can be very expensive. More mature drivers tend to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – Most auto insurance companies will award you with lower prices to policyholders who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you still need to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to find better rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Big city or small town – Being located in a small town can be a good thing when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers who live in large Ohio cities have to deal with much more traffic to deal with and much longer commute distances. More time on the road can result in more accidents.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – The deductibles define the amount you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, and windstorm damage. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Traffic citations inflate rates – Just one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Drivers who have serious citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to continue driving.
- Frequent auto insurance claims increase rates – If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance companies in Ohio provide discounts to insureds who are claim-free. Car insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
More quotes mean more savings
You just read a lot of information how to get a better price on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from some of the smallest insurance companies.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price.
Cheaper auto insurance can be bought online and with local Cleveland insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Additional information is available on the Ohio Department of Insurance website through this link. Ohio consumers can discover disciplinary actions, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and view a list of available companies.