Scraping up a payment for overpriced auto insurance can take a big chunk out of your personal savings and make it impossible to make ends meet. Comparison shopping is a great way to slash your bill and have more diposable income. Big-name insurance companies like GEICO and Progressive promote their brand names with catchy ads and it is difficult to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and find the best price available.
It’s important to shop coverage around every six months because rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the best price a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate how to use online quotes to find great coverage at a great price.
Lots of discounts mean lots of savings
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you may find discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time you complete a quote, but some must be asked for before you get the savings. If you don’t get every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially compared to bad drivers.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Grafton may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory air bags can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for auto insurance.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck. Any amount of discount will cut the amount you have to pay.
Components of your insurance rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates.
- Increase deductibles and save – The deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply could be colliding with a building, vandalism, and burglary. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Please use or commuting – The more miles you rack up on your car in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Double check that your auto insurance policy shows how each vehicle is driven.
- Equipment add-ons that lower auto insurance rates – Driving a car with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your car from being stolen.
Situations that might require an agent
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions can aid in determining if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- When should I not file a claim?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
Learn more about North Dakota auto insurance
Additional auto insurance information can be found on the website for the North Dakota Insurance Department located here. Visitors are able to report car insurance fraud, get help finding coverage, find a variety of consumer forms, and find out industry alerts.
Other informative sites include FindNewCarInsurance.com and this page on QuoteClickInsure.com.
Online plus local equals savings
Budget-conscious auto insurance is available on the web as well as from independent agents in Grafton, so compare prices from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies don’t offer online price quotes and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, drivers have reduced collision coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.