Tired of being strong-armed to insure your vehicles every month? You’re in the same situation as most other car owners in Montana. You have multiple insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and although it’s nice to have a choice, it can be more difficult to compare rates and find the lowest cost auto insurance.
Consumers need to compare prices periodically due to the fact that insurance rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. If you had the best rates a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to find out the fastest and easiest way to buy cheaper auto insurance.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help bring down the price. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but a few must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Accident Forgiveness – Some insurance companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less since new cars are generally safer.
- Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings up to 30%.
- Accident Free – Good drivers with no accidents can earn big discounts compared to frequent claim filers.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in high school.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for auto insurance.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will cut your premiums.
For a list of insurers with discount auto insurance rates in Baker, click here to view.
Why you might pay higher rates in Baker
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a fast way to increase your auto insurance rates. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The performance of the car you are insuring makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. Economy passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – Some insurance companies will give a discount to people who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you may still want to compare rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Drivers may still find a better deal by buying insurance from more than one company.
- More people means more accidents – Living in small towns and rural areas is a positive aspect when it comes to auto insurance. City drivers tend to have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Fewer people means reduced accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Getting married can actually save you money on auto insurance. Having a spouse means you’re more mature and statistics show drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Clean credit earns discounts – Your credit rating is a big factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. People with excellent credit tend to be more responsible as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings. So if your credit rating can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your by repairing your credit.
Additional auto insurance information is available on the website for the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance found here. Consumers can view a list of available companies, learn about specific coverages, file complaints about a company, and find a variety of consumer forms.
More related Baker auto insurance information:
Smart shoppers get results
While you’re price shopping online, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Cost effective auto insurance can be purchased online in addition to many Baker insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.