Are you intimidated by the wide range of car insurance company choices in Newark? Lot’s of other consumers are too. There are so many choices that it can easily become a big hassle to locate the lowest price.
Smart consumers take time to shop coverage around on a regular basis since rates fluctuate regularly. Just because you found the best price a few years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of wrong information about car insurance online but with this article, you’re going to get some great ideas on how to put money back in your pocket.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not even be aware of. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be inquired about before being credited.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Distant Student – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for car insurance.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially as compared to frequent claim filers.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount will reduce the cost of coverage.
To choose companies with discount car insurance rates in Newark, click this link.
How to Compare Newark Car Insurance Costs
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways to compare rate quotes from local in Newark, Delawarecar insurance companies. The easiest way to find the cheapest insurance rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This can be done using a couple different methods.
- One of the simplest ways to compare a lot of rates at once is an all-inclusive rate comparison click to view form in new window. This method prevents you from having to do boring form submissions for each company. Just one form gets you price quotes from all major companies. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A less efficient way to get comparison quotes requires you to visit each company website to request a price quote. For sake of this example, we’ll pretend you want to compare rates from State Farm, 21st Century and GMAC. You would have to go to every website to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Newark, click here.
It’s up to you which method you use, but ensure you are comparing exactly the same information for every company. If you enter unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be very difficult to decipher which rate is best in Newark. Quoting even small variations in coverage limits could mean much higher rates. Keep in mind that getting more free quotes will enable you to find the best offered rates.
Educated Consumers Know How to Buy Car Insurance Cheaper
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that play a part in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates enables informed choices that may reward you with lower car insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the items car insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – A driver’s credit rating is a huge factor in your rate calculation. Drivers with excellent credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with lower ratings. If your credit rating can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your by repairing your credit.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Mature drivers are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations. Teenage drivers have a tendency to be less responsible in a vehicle therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Little extras can really add up – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that can waste your money on your policy. Things like personal injury protection, accident forgiveness and term life insurance may be costing you every month. They may seem good when talking to your agent, but if they’re wasting money remove them from your policy.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – Whether or not you get tickets has a big impact on rates. Drivers with clean records get better rates than bad drivers. Only having one ticket may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with serious tickets like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Liability coverage will protect you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Small claims can cost you – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies in Delaware provide lower rates to people who are claim-free. Car insurance is intended for the large, substantial claims.
When should I use an insurance agent?
When it comes to choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Delaware?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Compare but don’t skimp
Affordable car insurance can be purchased on the web as well as from independent agents in Newark, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions, extreme rates for teen drivers and even policy non-renewal. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where an insured cut liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional Delaware consumer information
Additional information can be read on the Delaware Department of Insurance website through this link. Consumers can learn about specific coverages, view a list of available companies, and find a variety of consumer forms.
The following articles may also be useful.