Feel like you’re a prisoner to an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, many Harrisonburg consumers feel financially strained by their car insurance policy.
Having so many choices of insurance companies, it’s nearly impossible to locate the lowest price car insurance company.
Finding the best rates in Harrisonburg is quite easy. Basically, every vehicle owner who carries car insurance most likely will be able to find better rates. But Virginia car owners need to have an understanding of the way companies price insurance differently and take advantage of how the system works.
How to Get Car Insurance in Harrisonburg, VA
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes and find the best price. The recommended way to find the lowest rates is to use the internet to compare rates. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
The single most time-saving way to find low rates would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This easy form eliminates the need for separate quotes for each company you want a rate for. Taking the time to complete one form gets you price quotes .
A different way to get comparison quotes is spending the time to visit the website for each individual company and complete a new quote form. For sake of this example, let’s say you want comparison quotes from USAA, Liberty Mutual and Farmers. You would have to take the time to go to each site and enter your information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Harrisonburg, click here.
However you get your quotes, ensure you’re using the exact same coverages and limits on every quote. If you compare mixed coverages you can’t possibly make a fair comparison in Harrisonburg. Having just a slight variation in insurance coverages could mean much higher rates. Keep in mind that having more price comparisons helps locate the best offered rates.
Discounts can save BIG
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list every discount very well, so the following is a list of both the well known as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay less as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Drivers Education – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Early Signing – A few companies offer discounts for switching to them before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. Some only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Harrisonburg, click this link.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Harrisonburg
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Your policy’s liability coverage will protect you if a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Having a bad credit history is a important factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. So if your credit is not that good, you could pay less to insure your by improving your credit score. Drivers who have high credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
- Please use or commuting – Driving more miles each year the higher your rate. The majority of insurers apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars left parked in the garage can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Make sure your car insurance coverage shows the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- Do you know your deductibles? – The deductibles define the amount you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, and rolling your vehicle. The more you’re willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- An active claims history can cost you – Companies in Virginia provide lower rates to drivers who do not file claims often. If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is designed for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Discounts for multiple policies – The majority of insurance companies give discounts to insureds who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to 10 percent or more. Even with this discount, it’s still a good idea to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal. Consumers may find better rates by splitting coverages up.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Even a single moving violation can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who get flagrant violations like DUI or reckless driving may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- High performance equals high price – The make and model of the car you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in the rate you pay. The lowest rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger cars, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Do the work, save more money
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Affordable car insurance is definitely available both online and also from your neighborhood Harrisonburg agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide online price quotes and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
Additional car insurance links
Even more information can be found at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Visitors are able to read enforcement actions against agents and companies, view agent and company licensing information, and find out industry alerts.