Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy high-priced auto insurance? Trust us when we tell you there are many Abbeville consumers feeling the pinch from expensive auto insurance. Insurance companies such as GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm all promote huge savings with catchy ads and it can be hard to see past the geckos and flying pigs and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Abbeville Rates are Influenced by These Factors
It’s important that you understand the factors that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces that factor into rates.
- Save money with special equipment – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- How credit affects auto insurance rates – A driver’s credit score is a big factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. So if your credit score is lower than you’d like, you could save money insuring your by improving your credit score. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with poor credit.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – The liability section of your policy will protect you when you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – Some insurers will award you with lower prices to insureds who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to five, ten or even twenty percent. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are quite a few extra coverages that can waste your money when buying auto insurance. Coverages for personal injury protection, accident forgiveness and term life insurance may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good initially, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- The more you drive the more you pay – The more you drive every year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your auto insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage, because it can save money.
Abbeville Auto Insurance Prices Online
Lowering your auto insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. The only requirement is to invest a few minutes comparing price quotes provided by online insurance companies. This can be done in several different ways.
- The best way consumers can make multiple comparisons is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This type of form keeps you from doing separate forms for each company. A single, simple form will get you rate comparisons from auto insurance companies with the best prices.
- A more time consuming way to analyze rates is going to the website for each individual company and complete a new quote form. For examples sake, we’ll pretend you want rates from Farmers, Safeco and Allstate. To get rate quotes you would need to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, which is why most consumers use the first method. To view a list of companies in Abbeville, click here.
However you get your quotes, make absolute certain that you use identical coverages for every quote you compare. If the quotes have mixed coverages you will not be able to determine which rate is truly the best in Abbeville.
Beware of misleading auto insurance ads
Louisiana consumers can’t get away from ads that promise big savings from companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. All the ads have a common claim of big savings if you move your policy.
How do they all make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
Insurance companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that is profitable for them. For instance, a profitable customer could possibly be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no prior claims, and has a short commute. Any new insured who fits that profile gets the lowest rates and therefore will save when switching.
Potential customers who are not a match for the requirements will have to pay more money and this can result in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “drivers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that kind of money. This is how companies can advertise the way they do.
Because of the profiling, you need to get as many comparisons as possible. It’s just too difficult to predict the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Cut your auto insurance rates with discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount. If you don’t get every credit available, you are throwing money away.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Distant Student – Youth drivers who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Abbeville can help you save on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Paperwork-free – Some insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Sign Early and Save – Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on auto insurance.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your premiums.
You are unique and your auto insurance should be too
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions can help discover if you might need professional guidance.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Louisiana minimum liability coverage?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional auto insurance information can be read on the website for the Louisiana Department of Insurance found here. Visitors are able to view agent and company licensing information, find disaster information, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
Also read more on these car insurance answers and this page of insurance agents in Abbeville.
More comparisons equals lower rates
In this article, we presented many ways to compare auto insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the best prices are with some of the lesser-known companies. They may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Cheaper auto insurance can be bought online as well as from independent agents in Abbeville, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who don’t offer online price quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.