Tired of scraping the payment together to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than the majority of other car owners in New York. Online insurance companies like State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance all promote huge savings with ad campaigns and it is challenging if not impossible to see through the deception and take the time to shop coverage around.
Consumers should take time to get comparison quotes quite often since rates go up and down regularly. Just because you found the best deal a couple years back you can probably find a better price now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the things you must know in order to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
If you have a policy now or are just looking to switch companies, you can learn to cut your premiums while maximizing coverage. Finding the best rates in New York is not rocket science. New York consumers just need to learn the tricks to get comparison rates over the internet.
Learn How to Lower your Rates
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help determine your auto insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Your location affects your rates – Residing in less populated areas is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. City drivers tend to have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Less people living in that area means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – Auto insurance companies in New York generally give better rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is designed for larger claims.
- Always keep insurance in force – Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. Not only will you pay more, but not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the New York motor vehicle department.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. These vehicles reduce injuries and better occupant protection means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
- How’s your driving record? – Your driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Careful drivers receive lower rates than bad drivers. Even a single moving violation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Drivers who get serious violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Most companies provide better rates to insureds who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find a better deal by buying auto insurance from a different company.
Discounts can save BIG
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts to reduce the price significantly. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be specially asked for before being credited. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you are throwing money away.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application over the internet.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Drivers Education – Have your child take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Student in College – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Bundle and Save – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers may receive a discount up to 10%.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will reduce the cost of coverage.
To choose insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in New York, click this link.
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to buying the best auto insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Online resources for education
More information is located on the website for the New York Department of Financial Services located here. New York consumers can discover disciplinary actions, find disaster information, and download brochures.
The following articles may also be useful.
One last thing
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Consumers could even find that the lowest premiums are with a small local company. They can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, an insured cut physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.