Overpriced car insurance can overdraw your savings account, especially in this economy. Doing a price comparison is free, only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to make sure you’re not throwing money away. Consumers have many auto insurance companies to choose from, and even though it’s nice to be able to choose, having more insurance companies makes it harder to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
Buying car insurance in Chubbuck is quite easy. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will most likely be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. Idaho vehicle owners only need to know the proper way to compare company rates on the web.
Educated Consumers Know How to Buy Car Insurance Cheaper
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the items companies use to determine prices.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Your driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even a single moving violation can bump up the cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who get dangerous violations like DUI or reckless driving may be required to submit a SR-22 form with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Sex matters – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both are in accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to receive more costly citations such as reckless driving.
- With age comes lower rates – Youthful drivers in Idaho are statistically proven to get distracted easily when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Older insureds are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and get fewer tickets.
- High numbers of claims are not good – If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Car insurance companies in Idaho give discounts to drivers who file claims infrequently. Your insurance policy is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a guaranteed way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a license revocation or jail time.
- Pay less if you’re married – Being married actually saves money on your policy. Having a spouse usually means you are more responsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Physical damage coverage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, vandalism, or theft. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. The more money you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- One company can mean more discounts – Many insurers will award you with lower prices to insureds who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be five, ten or even twenty percent. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Car insurance companies do not advertise all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched some of the best known and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Memberships – Belonging to a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Senior Discount – Older drivers may receive reduced rates.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To choose insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Idaho, click this link.
Even more information is located at the Idaho Department of Insurance website. Idaho consumers can find disaster information, discover disciplinary actions, and read industry bulletins.
Keep this in mind
Lower-priced car insurance can be bought both online in addition to many Chubbuck insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, drivers have reduced full coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.